5.31.2011

Design House Tween Room

So, my room at the Design House is now empty.  For those of you who were able to come and view the house, thank you so much for your support.  I am proud to have been a part of the event, happy to be able to support the Shelter for Help in Emergency and satisfied with how my room turned out.  I know I've been talking about it a lot and I hope you're not getting too tired of it all, but I have to share my room for those who have not yet seen it and I'll hopefully get around to posting some how-to's as promised as well.

When the designers toured the house, I was not overly impressed with this room:
So little, in fact, that I did not request to work in it.  Such a challenge -- a small room (not quite 12 x 15) with a door or window on every wall and a big radiator!  The red walls were dark, the table covered the balcony door and the drapes were heavy and floral.

When asked, I accepted the challenge; none of the designers had chosen this space!
 I decided to highlight the room's positive characteristics.  It has high ceilings, a beautiful window and an amazing balcony.

I chose to paint the walls a very neutral off-white shade, kept the trim a glossy bright white,and added crown moulding and a pop of color in turquoise to emphasize the ceiling.

My plan for the room looked like this:


I chose to place a daybed in front of the window and radiator and have a cover built for the radiator to serve as a sofa table of sorts.  Bolster cushions sit on the radiator cover and a window scarf dresses both the window and the bed.  Custom cabinetry ties the whole thing together and provides bedside tables for storage and a place for those huge lampshades.  The window becomes the focal point of the room.

Before:

Heavy drapes and a big radiator
 After:



The bed is made of two headboards constructed by U-Fab.  The duvet and bolsters are also from U-Fab.  Custom cabinetry by Maya Wood.  Fabulous fun oversized lampshades were recovered in coordinating fabric. 

 Before:
 After:

A custom floorcloth painted by Susan Brodie of Muses; Art for Living grounds the furniture arrangement.  Fun pouf ottomans provide extra seating or a place to rest your feet.  The cream drapes with fun circle trim draw your eyes to the balcony beyond.  Before, a table cut off both the view and the access.
What a spectacular feature of this room -- I couldn't leave it empty!


A gorgeous white Murano glass chandelier from Shades of Light really adds sparkle to the ceiling.  While this room now only accommodates one bed, I was able to add a refurbished decoupaged desk (tutorial to come later in the week) with a fabulous re-upholstered chair also done by U-Fab.

Here's a little vignette featuring a white lacquered dresser with a mirrored top from Shades of Light, a Snow White mirror and some fun accessories -- love the whippet from Patina, Anitques, etc.!

And, I can't leave out my daughter's one-of-a-kind painting to fill up the wall-- so proud!!

Best wishes to the Shelter for Help in Emergency.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to showcase this fun idea!

Check out my Transformations Tab for more Before and Afters.
And, don't forget to
with your design dilemmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment